Treasures of pre-cinema history
The magic lantern
C. Eckenrath, Berlin
C. Eckenrath's business was founded around 1856 as Stereoscope Trade & Factory and continued under different owners until around 1911. From 1868 at the latest, magic lanterns and -slides from the Nuremberg manufacturer Heinrich Denecke (replaced by Jean Schoenner after the business of Denecke closed in c. 1874) were included in the product range. The purchase of Nuremberg magic lanterns was replaced around 1878 by the company's own production, which was maintained until the closure of the business around 1911. .