Treasures of pre-cinema history
The magic lantern
Wilhelm (Willy) Hagedorn, Berlin
The beginnings of the "Nebelbilderfabrik" (dissolving view lanterns) of the plumber Wilhelm (Willi) Hagedorn lies in the dark. Presumably, Hagedorn took over the workshop of a certain Mr. Bengen around 1875 and immediately began manufacturing dissolving view (biunial-) lanterns and -slides in his "factory". Around 1883 Hagedorn founded an institute for glass paintings (Institut für Glasmalerei). The production of magic lanterns and pictures probably ended with the beginning of the First World War. The company itself continues to manufacture stage lights into the 1960s.